Membership in the Sonoma County Mycological Association (SOMA) is a great way to meet and interact with other mushroom enthusiasts, learn more about identifying fungi, and share interests such as cooking and cultivating mushrooms. Sure, most of what SOMA does is open to the public, but wouldn't you rather join SOMA and get all the goodies?
Two easy ways to apply (or renew)
We now offer the ability to apply and pay your dues directly online (via PayPal). Prefer to fill out a traditional paper form and send in a check? No problem—you can do that too!
- OPTION 1: Apply Online »
- OPTION 2:
What do I get?
All kinds of stuff!
- Early Bird Discount for SOMA Camp: This benefit is only available to members in good standing (i.e. paid up) on 1st September and whose membership will still be in good standing on Jan 31st. This means that if your membership expires between now and the end of camp, renew early - your renewal anniversary won't change, you'll just be paying forward to ensure you receive this benefit.
- Volunteering at SOMA camp: Volunteers make Camp work. As with the Early Bird discount, this benefit is only available to members in good standing (i.e. paid up) on 1st September and whose membership will still be in good standing on Jan 31st. This means that if your membership expires between now and the end of camp, renew early -- your renewal anniversary won't change, you'll just be paying forward to be eligible to volunteer.
- Meetings: Each month during Sonoma County's mushroom season (September to May), SOMA members meet to identify mushrooms, associate with other mycophiles, and hear a guest speaker. Speakers are often nationally-acclaimed mycologists, and have included university professors, authors, and experts on cultivation, taxonomy, and identification.
- SOMA Groups: Join the Cultivation Group or the Culinary Group to share and learn more about these great activities. Heck, if you join both, you can learn how to grow and cook your own mushrooms. How great is that?
- Information: Get the monthly newsletter SOMA News, which includes info on upcoming speakers, using mushrooms for dyes, mushroom recipes, foraging reports, and more.
- Discounts: Everyone likes discounts: save on membership in the North American Mycological Association.
- Events: Even though events such as monthly forays and SOMA Camp are open to the public, you'll be the first to know about them! But some events, such as the annual potluck dinner in December, are open only to members. And you don't want to miss that.
- So much more: For example, participate in the annual mushroom fair, buy cool mushroom t-shirts, and make lots of great new friends.
Yes, you can now become a lifetime member of SOMA and avoid all the pesky details of annual subscription. For a mere $250, you can opt to never pay membership dues again! Your membership will include all the above benefits of membership including subscription to the great digital version of SOMA News. Lifetime membership elevates you to the level of SOMA Patron where you may experience visions as you might from one of those mushrooms.
How much does it cost?
Please note: Memberships are good for 12 months, and now run from Sept 1 to Aug 31.
|Family Membership. Includes printed and mailed SOMA News. Website download also available.||$25|
|Digital Family Membership. SOMA News not mailed; available for download from website only.||$20|
|Seniors (60 years or over). With or without printed and mailed SOMA News.||$20|
|Lifetime Membership. SOMA News not mailed; available for download only.||$250|
Okay, I'm convinced! How do I join (or renew)?
Becoming a member and renewing your membership is easy. You can either apply directly online, or print out an application and send it in:
- OPTION 1: Apply Online »
- OPTION 2: